Search my Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bening Pucuk Ubi (Tapioca Leaves)

In my homestate, Perak, tapioca leaves are typically cooked in Masak Lemak Cili Padi. The first time I ate this dish in a simple plain water soup was in someone's house in Miri, which was served along Sambal Belacan and deep fried fish. I enjoyed it very much and ever since I've cooked this dish several times already.

INGREDIENTS:
RM2 Tapioca leaves - washed & torn to small pieces 
4-5 Shallots*
1 clove Garlic*
1 Red Chili* (* sliced) 
Some Ikan Bilis
Salt

METHOD:
1. Heat up few tbsp oil & fry sliced ingredients & ikan bilis until fragrant.
2. Add in 1 big bowl of water & let it boil.
3. Add in tapioca leaves & boil until really soft.
4. Serve with rice along Sambal Belacan & hot fried fish.

3 comments:

  1. Actually I ate this before (during Uni days) in an Orang Asli settlement in Pahang. They cook it just like this with bilis too. I came home and tried to replicate it. But my pucuk ubi was bitter. Guess I didn't blanch it, that's why it was bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Roz,
    Dari Perak kat mane?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    I didn't blanch mine too but was ok. Make sure use just the young leaves. I'm a Taiping girl!

    ReplyDelete

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)