Search my Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Stir-Fried Water Spinach with Belacan (Kangkung Goreng Belacan)

I cooked this vegetable dish hundreds times already but somehow I have not posted it yet. Could be because it is such a simple & ordinary dish. This time, I've posted it with specific reason. My expatriate colleague is leaving Malaysia to work in another country very soon. He loves Malaysian food and he said he's going to miss Belacan. I suggested him Belacan granules which are a lot easier to carry as it will not stink his luggage but I had not tried it myself. So I promised him, I'll test it first before I buy some for him.

My dish above smell fragrant rather than the typical pungent smell. Being Malaysian, of course I love the original wet Belacan paste better but the granules option is not bad at all. It will also be a good option for Malaysians who are in overseas.

Let's now see my recipe cooking with Belacan granules:
INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch Water Spinach (Kangkung)
3 Shallots*
1-2 Red Chilies* (* pounded) 
10g Anchovies 
2 tsp Belacan granules
Salt

METHOD:
1. Clean & cut the vegetables.
Discard the bottom tough parts.

2. Heat up 3-4 tbsp oil & fry the pounded ingredients, Belacan granules and anchovies until fragrant.
Add in 1/2 cup water & salt.
Add in vegetables & stir until well mixed.
Do not overcook.
Dish up & serve with white rice. 

Belacan granules:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use OpenID if you do not have any account.
(Sila guna OpenID untuk tinggalkan komen anda jika tiada akaun Google)